Monday, February 2, 2009

Thoughts

I was blogging this morning and in link after link came across this story of a mom named Jessica. She lost her little girl this past Friday to cancer. The little girl is just younger than my Andrew. I cried, and cried. Then I looked at Andrew and cried somemore. I can't imagine life without him - or Zach or Porter. Thank goodness I have the knowledge of the gospel that gives me comfort that I would see them again. But there would be no more hug-kisses. No more crazy dance parties. No more of them squeezing up next to me in church. No more toothless smiles.

It's helped my resolve to be a little more patient, a little more kind, a little more understanding, a little more selfless. To play Transformers instead of folding the last load of laundry. To build forts with all the blankets instead of picking up the toys. To go outside and play instead of cleaning. To live in the moment, because you never know how long that moment is going to last.

The Lord counsels us to "Trifle not with sacred things." (D&C 6:12) I can't think of anything more sacred than my family - my children who were sent to this earth to be under my care.

There's an old Chinese saying (which I got from Kung Fu Panda, of all places) that goes:

Yesterday is history;
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift.
That's why it's called the present.

2 comments:

Gabriella said...

Thanks for sharing that Steph, I needed that reminder.

Unknown said...

Such a great reminder! It is so easy to forget how precious our kids are when they are screaming nonstop! But it is an amazing blessing to be mother's in zion and raise kids...I hope I can remeber this as the third one comes :).