We made this Meatball Soup from Jessica Seinfield's book Deceptively Delicious tonight and I highly recommend it. I've tried a few other things from the book and this has got to be my favorite so far. The boys liked it and it's really easy to make. Sorry I didn't get a picture - I was too busy eating.
3 oz. pasta shapes, such as bowties or wagon wheels (I used the mini-bowties)
Nonstick cooking spray
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (28-oz.) can whole tomatoes, with their juice
1/4 cup carrot puree
1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
3 cups beef or chicken broth
3 slices whole-wheat bread, cubed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup sweet potato puree
1/4 cup milk
2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 lb. lean ground turkey
1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions until al dente. Drain in a colander and set aside.
2. Coat a large pot with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When the pot is hot, add the oil and then the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Puree the tomatoes and their juice with the carrot puree in a food processor or blender, then add to the pot along with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the broth, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, put the bread in a large bowl. Add the egg, sweet potato puree, milk, Parmesan, 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper, and paprika, and let soak until the bread is very soft. Stir to break up the bread, add the ground turkey, and mix until smooth. Form into mini-meatballs 1/2-inch in diameter.
5. Add the meatballs to the pot. Simmer, covered, until the meatballs are no longer pink in the center, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in the pasta. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.
Note: If you don't have the purees, finely chop the carrot and the sweet potato in the food processor; it works just as well.
Enjoy!! (I'll let you know how the brownies with the carrot and spinach purees taste tomorrow!!)