Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Snow Day!!

Growing up in California, I was always jealous of those kids that lived in places that got snow and got to have snow days. My only knowledge of snow days came from TV shows and books and they showed a great day of no school - meaning no tests, no boring lectures, no homework - and being able to play in the HUGE piles of snow making snowmen, throwing snowballs, and enjoying a warm cup of hot chocolate afterwards. Sounds like the best day ever, huh?

Now let me introduce you to a snow day in Albuquerque. Last night a storm came through and we got less than an inch of snow (well, we got that much where we live on the west side; the east side got a little bit more than that). When I got up at 7:00 to go get Porter up for school, there was a notice that the schools were on a 2 hour delay, meaning they would start 2 hours later than normal. About an hour later, a notice came out that the schools were closed because it was too icy. So we spent the day wasting it away - I guess there were some perks. The most ridiculous part was the snow and ice was melted by 10:00, so there wasn't even anything to play with when we finally got dressed (we could've built a three inch snowman!).

Despite it all, it was a great day. It was one of the rare Tuesdays I didn't have my MOPS group or scrapbooking group, so we didn't have the pressure of having to go anywhere. We got to relax all morning and I got to spend the day with my boys. The boys even got along today better than they usually do. Yea, Snow Day!!

6 comments:

Darrell and Alissa said...

I love those days when school is cancelled and everyone get's along! I don't love when school is cancelled and there is fighting constantly! We are suppose to get snow tonight, and since there is no snow equipment school will probably be cancelled also. Last year we had a storm that dropped 5 inches and guess how they cleaned the roads- with a street sweeper!!! I will be prepared this year with a camera if that happens again!

Arizona Nielsens said...

SNOW?! Savannah and I went on a walk in the stroller yesterday in short sleeves. I'm glad that you're enjoying it, because I wouldn't. Sounds like everyone had a great day!

Jodi said...

What fun to have a day off from school! We had a few icy days last year that canceled schools as well. Those are the best!!!

The Perkins Family said...

That's exactly how snow days went in Palmdale. The roads would be too icy in the morning and then by about 10-11am there wouldn't be any snow at all. I loved those days!

PS. What's MOPS?

Stephanie said...

MOPS stands for Mothers of Pre-Schoolers. It's a national Christian mothers group that I go to twice a month. They have childcare for the kids and the mothers get together for meetings and do crafts, eat, and mingle. It's quite fun.

Laura Dawes said...

I can't believe they cancel school because of a couple inches of snow. Growing up in Utah there had to be at least a couple of feet of snow, and even then not all the schools were closed. It's been so cold here that when it does snow, and has been snowing a lot, it doesn't melt, even when the sun is out. I can't wait for spring! Just a little less than three months before you guys get another niece and cousin for the boys! We love you guys!